A car bombing in Afghanistan's central Ghazni province killed at least 30 members of the Afghan security force on Sunday, officials said and, given the severity and location of the blast, the casualties could increase.
The director of the provincial hospital in Ghazni, Baz Mohammad Hemat, said that 30 bodies and 24 wounded people had been transported there. "Security personnel is all the victims," he said.
A compound of the public protection force, a wing of the Afghan security forces, was hit by the explosion, local officials said. It destroyed civilian homes across the compound, and from there, they said, there may be more casualties.
The spokesman for the Interior Ministry, Tariq Arian, stated that a car bomb blast had occurred but did not provide further details on the target or potential casualties.
No one assumed liability for the attack.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid did not confirm or deny responsibility when contacted by Reuters.
Over the past few months, Afghanistan has seen a spate of car bombings, despite peace talks being underway between the insurgent Taliban's negotiating teams and the government in the Qatari capital of Doha.
According to international governments and organizations, violence in the country has remained unacceptably high throughout the war for two decades, calling for an immediate truce between the Afghan government and the Taliban.
Another Sunday bombing in eastern Zabul province targeting a top provincial official killed at least one person and wounded 23, said Gul Islam Syaal, the province's governor's spokesman.
In the assault on his convoy, Haji Ata Jan Haqbayan, head of the provincial council of Zabul, suffered minor injuries.
A vocal opponent of the Taliban, no one has taken responsibility for the attack on Haqbayan.