Security agencies in Norway confirmed Thursday that they believe the homicidal spree carried out by a 37-year-old Danish convert to Islam with a bow and arrow and other weapons on Wednesday, which killed five people, was an act of terror.
According to police, the attack on Wednesday killed four ladies and one man between the ages of 50 and 70.
The subject was interrogated last night and has reportedly confessed to officials.
He is believed to have acted alone, according to police. He had used other firearms, according to Norwegian news agency NTB, which cited police sources.
He was also known to Norway's health services, according to a prosecutor.
From Kongsberg, Norwegian journalist Kjetil Stormark informed DW that the suspect had a criminal record and had eluded police efforts to apprehend him twice as he hunted his victims at random. According to an eyewitness, the suspect also used a knife.
The suspect may have become radicalized.
"There earlier had been worries of the man having been radicalized." remarked police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud.
"We haven't had any reports about him in 2021," he continued.
Saeverud explained that the man was a "convert to Islam." in response to queries.
The prospect of a terror strike is not ruled out, and police are "continuing investigations to be completely sure," according to Saeverud.
What happened on Wednesday in Kongsberg?
Authorities in the southeastern Norwegian town of Kongsberg said a man with a bow and arrow killed five people and injured two more on Wednesday.
According to the Aftenposten newspaper, the attacks lasted over 30 minutes and spread across a "large area" of Kongsberg, including a Coop Extra grocery store.
At roughly 6:30 p.m. local time, police were notified, and the culprit was apprehended 20 minutes later.
Two persons were injured and treated at a hospital; one of them was an off-duty police officer. The culprit has been apprehended, according to a police spokesperson.
The attack was described as "gruesome," by acting Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg and as "a cruel and brutal act." by Prime Minister-designate Jonas Gahr Stoere.
According to Norwegian media, parts of Kongsberg were evacuated as a result of the violence.
A large number of helicopters and ambulances were sent to the location. The two injured victims are being treated in the hospital's intensive care unit.
Police said on Wednesday that it was too early to tell whether the attack was a terrorist strike because the investigation was still ongoing.
Following the attack, the Norwegian Police Directorate instructed officers to carry guns. In Scandinavian countries, police officers are frequently unarmed.
The heinous act came just over ten years after right-wing fanatic Anders Breivik carried out Norway's greatest terrorist attack.
In July 2011, Breivik detonated a bomb in Oslo and went on a shooting rampage on the island of Utoya, killing a total of 77 people.