Four killed in Lakeland Florida Shooting, including a 4 year old; 11 year old girl shot multiple times

Photo: Sherrif's Office Provides details about the Incident. via: USA Today | The Ledger

In a neighborhood in North Lakeland, Florida, four people were killed, an 11-year-old girl was wounded after being shot multiple times, and cops came under fire early Sunday.

The shootings occurred around 4:30 a.m., according to Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd, at two distinct residences on the same property.

Law police and the suspect, Bryan Riley, 33, of Brandon, Florida, engaged in two separate shootouts "in short order," according to Judd. Riley was shot once and quickly surrendered, according to him. Lakeland police and Florida Highway Patrol officers were also involved. The gunfight resulted in no injuries to law enforcement officials.

Police discovered an 11-year-old girl who had been shot "several times," as well as a man, two women, and a baby after Riley was taken into custody.

Riley was a Marine Corps veteran who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to Judd. He served in the Corps for four years before being honorably discharged. He subsequently served in the reserves for another three years.

He was employed by ESS Global Corp., where he was in charge of executive protection and security. Riley had PTSD and was occasionally unhappy but never aggressive, according to his four-year girlfriend, with whom he lived in Brandon.

The Sheriff's Office was notified of the occurrence, and a deputy was dispatched to the area around 7:30 p.m. Saturday. Riley, on the other hand, was nowhere to be seen. Riley's girlfriend later told investigators that Riley came home that evening and said to her that God had given him a vision that the man's daughter was going to commit suicide.

A lieutenant about two miles distant heard two volleys of gunfire from the initial call nine hours later, according to Judd. Simultaneously, 911 calls began to come in reporting an active shooter.

Deputies and other law enforcement officers arrived to find a burning truck and a popping sound coming from the front yard.

As they approached, they found an individual who was "totally outfitted in body armor and looked as though he was ready to engage us in an active shooter situation." Judd said.

"But we didn't see a firearm."

Judd said the man ran back in the house and deputies heard a gunshot, "and a woman scream and a baby whimper."

According to Judd, the lieutenant attempted to enter the residence, but it was blocked. He then proceeded to the back of the home and entered, exchanging gunfire with the suspect before fleeing.

Three deputies at the front of the home were pinned down by gunfire from the suspect, according to Judd, and additional agents on the site fired fire to assist the officers.

Things became silent after that, according to Judd, and the guy came out of the home with his hands up. He'd been shot before.

According to Judd, the suspect was treated at Lakeland Regional Health Medical Center. "He got up and tried to take the Lakeland police officer's pistol while being treated," Judd said, "and they had to battle with him again in the emergency department."

They apprehended the suspect and continued to treat him.

Meanwhile, officials on the scene entered one of the residences and discovered an 11-year-old girl who had been shot many times. Deputies were informed by the girl that there were three deceased individuals in the residence. Justice Gleason, 40, a 33-year-old woman, and a 3-month-old boy were found dead from gunshot wounds by deputies. When officers arrived at the house next door, they discovered another lady, this time the 62-year-old grandmother of the 3-month-old kid, had been shot to death.

Except for Gleason, whose family consented to reveal his name, the Sheriff's Office did not name any of the victims.

Publish : 2021-09-06 09:04:00

Give Your Comments