The US President Donald Trump who had been campaigning all over the country with the hopes of getting re-elected in the upcoming US elections, his upcoming campaign rallies, scheduled for this weekend, has been cancelled with the reason being over crowd-size restrictions.
The president was scheduled to hold airport rallies in Reno and Las Vegas this weekend but both were cancelled, the campaign announced Wednesday afternoon.
Trump 2020 campaign Nevada co-chair Adam Paul Laxalt said in a tweet it was the Nevada governor who cancelled the rallies, in a tweet calling the move "outrageous" and "unprecedented" -- but the state's governor said Wednesday his office still hadn't received any planning information from the campaign.
Outrageous! @realDonaldTrump rally venues in NV canceled. Welcome to Sisolak’s Nevada – home of partisan political retribution. This is unprecedented – to cancel an incumbent President’s campaign stop inside 60 days of a major contested election in a swing state. This isn’t over!— Adam Paul Laxalt (@AdamLaxalt) September 9, 2020
Trump 2020 communications director Tim Murtaugh said in a statement that Trump will still travel to Nevada on Saturday and Sunday.
Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak earlier Wednesday tweeted that his office has "had no involvement or communication with the event organizers or potential hosts regarding the proposed campaign events advertised by the Trump campaign" but suggested a massive rally like the one seen in North Carolina would also not comply with his state's COVID-19 restrictions put in place because of White House guidance.
The decision was taken after Trump's rally on Tuesday at an airport in North Carolina drew thousands, defying all coronavirus-related restrictions, in contrast to Joe Biden's rallies which have usually involved smaller crowds who can be spotted wearing face masks.
Trump’s campaigns have been criticised quite a lot of times from his opposition party members and health experts due to carelessness towards the coronavirus restrictions.